18 02 2011
Vinegar to Clean Hardwood Floors
You can use vinegar to clean your hardwood floors. One advantage of doing so is that it is very inexpensive and very non-toxic and even works on hardwood floors.
Using Vinegar to Clean Hardwood Floors:Hardwood floors require extra special attention to keep them looking shiny and new (or as new as possible). The one important point about using this kind of flooring is that it involves the use of different cleaners than other types of floors.
Which Vinegar to Use:White vinegar is really the standard household cleaner. It works far better than any flavored variety, such as red wine, rice wine, and apple cider vinegar.
It is usually preferred for cleaning and it also is one of the least expensive. It is also best to use over a colored one because it will not stain your precious wood flooring.
How to Clean Hardwood Floors Using Vinegar:Cleaning hardwood floors using vinegar is not that hard. It just requires following some practical tips:
- If you are able to move your furniture or floor rugs around do so before you start cleaning.
- Block off the entrances from children and pets to prevent wet floor tracking.
- Remove all dust, dirt, line, and hair before mopping, and vacuum or dry mop your floor.
- Fill a clean bucket with both white vinegar and warm water (about ½ cup of white vinegar to one gallon of warm water).
- Dip a clean mop into the solution and wring out the mop until it is damp not wet.
- Mop the floor with this damp mop from one corner to the other, the same direction as the floor boards.
- Rinse the mop head often during this process, and change your mop water when it is dirty.
General Care for Hardwood Floors:Keep your floor as clean as possible. You can do this by removing loose dirt that can dull or scratch your floor. This action usually is best completed with use of a dry mop or vacuum. Even if you only mop five minutes a day it can add life to your floor for many more years than you thought.
Other Cleaning Products for Hardwood Floors:White vinegar is a very economical and safe way to mop hardwood floors. It does not cut through extreme grease or dirt but it does help get rid of some common dirt buildup.
If the dirt on your floor has built up past the point of routine cleaning, you might want to try Murphy’s Oil Soap. Otherwise, some other solution that is especially meant for this type of hardwood floor may be acceptable.
Just make sure you do not use too much of the Murphy’s because it could make the floor slippery. Follow the instructions very carefully and use only according to the instructions on the bottle.
More Cleaning Tips for Vinegar:You can remove stains from soiled laundry using vinegar. Just boil a pot of water and add one cup of vinegar. Then add your whites and allow them to soak overnight. The next day, just wash your clothes like you normally would.